Set Sail Today! Bring Offers!
“Spirit of Australia” is a proven blue water sailboat. Built by Ta Shing maker of Nordhaven, Mason, Taswell, and Norseman, she was the collaborative product of Robert Perry, Gary Grant, and an Australian couple. Like her smaller sister ships, the Norseman 447’s, she offers similar lines but extended to 53.5 feet overall. The first one of seven produced, she is the only one with the originally designed factory installed hard dodger Initially commissioned in Fort Lauderdale she has sailed worldwide and is fully capable of continuing to do so.
With her present owner she sailed extensively in the San Francisco Bay before passages to British Columbia, Mexico, Panama, Cartagena, Cayman Islands, Key West, Miami, Nassau, Exumas, Abacos and Fort Lauderdale where she presently sits behind a private home.
She has been constantly cared for and at this time is having her teak decks removed and paint and non-skid refreshed. Her galley and both heads are resurfaced and refixtured. Her mast has been pulled twice. Her interior includes a full width mural showing her owner racing in the Heineken Cup in Saint Maarten as part of the Hugo Boss Farr 65 sailing fleet.
This powerful blue water cruiser is turn-key! She has a substantial inventory of cruising gear, spare parts & tools. The only F1 factory hard dodger, triple Reckmann hydraulic furlers, Barlow 36 powered primaries, Hood vertically battened main. Updated Raymarine HD radar and plotter & I-pad navigation station.Brand new aft Cruisair AC, Mercedes OM35L with Wiseman conversion, Onan 6.5kw marine genset, Samsung & Polk-audio entertainment system.
Owners RemarksPurchased by her current owner in 2005, SPIRIT OF AUSTRALIA was first used by the owner and his family as a daysailer on San Francisco Bay. In 2008 she began to cruise as far south as Puerto Vallarta and as far north as Victoria, B.C.. In 2012, she embarked for Panama, Cartagena, Grand Cayman, Key West and Fort Lauderdale. In 2014, SPIRIT OF AUSTRALIA cruised the Berry Islands, Nassau, and the Exumas in the Bahamas. She turns heads wherever she goes.
To share one of her transcendent passages, I recount as follows: “We were closing in on Cabo San Lucas at sunset when the wind off the Sea of Cortez started to freshen. At 20 knots on a close reach in 4-6 foot seas, she started to canter at 9 knots and I told the crew to go below as I would take her to Puerto Vallarta myself. We moved away from shore and night fell leaving only the glow of her red interior floor lights left to guide me to her coffee station. With mug in hand, I assumed my position behind her wheel. I placed my etymotic ear buds. I am an audiophile. Inside she is equipped with NHT, Polk Audio, Samsung, and Marantz. I turned on a Bach fugue and then the sky literally lit up from horizon to horizon. It was a full on meteor shower, thousands of them, bursting and trailing tails of light across the sky. I was awestruck, and it occurred to me that everything I had done to make these moments aboard her possible had now paid off, but there was more to come. To may astonishment, her bow turned incandescent. The stars overhead were now bursting up on her bow wave and then literally washing down her decks. I had encountered millions of firefly squid. I had shooting stars overhead in a pitch black sky, balls of miniature lightening being thrown up and over her bow and then coursing down her decks. I turned from Bach to Beethoven and played the Ninth over and over until dawn. Spirit has had many other magical moments, but that night will be hard to top.”
How does she move, on oversized Rechman furlers, her main, genoa, and jib carry her to 12 knots on the wind. Her spinnaker will pull her to 16 knots. Her Wiseman marinized Merecedes 135 hp non-turbo diesel drives her to 9 knots. She runs effortlessly with powered winches and a Simrad autopilot. Her Onan 6.5 keeps her battery banks (3) filled. She has two refrigeration systems. Her heads are both Vac-flush. All of her lighting systems inside and out have been renewed. She has current Raymarine GPS and HD Radar. Her Magnum inverter, Balmar 24V regulator and attendant wiring have been recently overhauled. She runs her AC 24/7 with cabin fans to keep out mildew dockside. She is plumbed for a watermaker although with 3 tanks carrying over 250 gallons, absent an ocean passage, she may not need one. She carries fuel in 4 tanks. All tanks are interconnected with stainless steel tubing, She has an on deck lazzarett custom made for twin dive tanks and she carries a functioning air compressor in the tool room. She has served as a dive platform off of Catalline where she was renowned for the hot showers on offer in both telephone stalls in each head as well as inside the cockpit under her hard dodger.
Underneath she runs a well attended Maxprop folding propeller on a 1 1/2 inch shaft adjacent to a skeg hung rudder and a fin keel. She is Bahamas capable requiring 6.5 feet of water and a judicial attendance to tidal flow. Yes, she can moore comfortably in Hopetown as well as find her way, with the proper local knowledge across the Devil’s Backbone and into Eleuthra. Once at rest, she offers two staterooms including a queen V forward and a king V aft with augmented Temperpedic covers, and and over/under crew or child’s cabin. A rope hammock fits topsides on her bow. A tented canvas awning extends her dodger over the cockpit. She has fixed fold-down transom steps and a portable side ladder. Her galley offers two coldl boxes, a 4 burner propane stove with oven, Grohe fixtures, a recently new stainless sink, and granite countertops. Her five channel stereo system with 40 inch flat screen TV midships and 24 inch screen aft play movies off of either her BD or a hard drive. She also comes with SSB, Pactor and Sailmail.
- Forward bulkhead shows
photograph of owner racing on a Farr 65 in Antigua.
- Marantz surround sound, 4
NHT speakers mounted in cabinets, Polk Audio Subwoofer
- Samsung Blue Ray A 35" Samsung flat screen TV, installed in 2012
- Three red LED's
and floor lighting, light the cabin at night.
- 6 large storage
lockers behind the settees. One contains a Magnum digital
inverter/charger cooled by twin Hella Turbo fans
- 600 Amp hours,
12v battery bank is new in 2014.
cockpit crystal locker, wine cellar, forward aluminum bulkhead and
light provided by surrounding port lights and 3 deck hatches
- New white/red lighting throughout
- Separate reading
lights and Hella fan
- Three drawers under the king size
sleeping area, four lockers, plus a cedar lined lighted hanging locker.
- Vanity with a swing out seat and storage drawer
- En-suite head
contains a new sink and Grohe faucet.
- Stand-up shower has a bench
and seals with a clear plexi-door.
- Vacuflush heads forward and aft with
separate holding tanks.
Guest Staterooms/Crew or Child Cabin
- Forward Large V berth
- Two storage lockers as well as a cedar lined,
lighted interior hanging locker, bulk storage under bead
- Reading lights, Hella fan
- The bunk and/or crew cabin
has 6.5’ over/under bunks with lee cloths
- Storage: Four opening lockers, a
cedar lined hanging locker, hella fan, separate reading lights
and storage under the bottom bunk
forward head with plexi glassed shower stall, new sink and Grohe faucet.
storage with six cupboards over and four drawers under the counter.
- Garbage unit is a pull out adjacent to the sink and aft of the wine
- Crosby/Grunert 110V plus an engine driven compressor (The engine
driven compressor is not currently connected.)
- (2) 12
cubic foot areas with 4.5" insulation plus granite tops.
- Mariner propane
stove/oven, 4 burner, serviced by one propane tank in a double locker
with overboard vents.
- Sentry sniffer/alarm system
- Stainless steel single sink with large pull down
- The under sink water manifold leads to 3 separate water tanks as
well as foot operated fresh and sea water pumps.
in 2013/14. Navigation Station runs off a Raymarine Hybrid touch screen, E8
GPS and HD radar unit which connect via Bluetooth to I-pads and
- I-pad mount is attached forward
of the steering station under the factory installed hard dodger.
- Additional units include:
- Standard Horizon Matrix AIS/GPS & remote
- VHF Marine Transceiver
- ICOM IC-706 MKIIG SSB
- Pactor Modem &
- Platinium + Caribbean & Bermuda chip-
- Brooks & Gatehouse depth
- Simrad AP-26 auto pilot with spare head unit
- Hand held VHF
- Emergency Garmin Geko 201
- Garmin Glo Blue Ray GPS (Feeds either Garmin or Navionics Cell/I Pad apps.)
- Ubiquiti masthead wifi system installed
- 12V system, 600 amps:
- Replaced 2017 Batteries
- Magnum 12 Volt/ Inverter-Charger
- Re-built 125 Amp engine driven charger with spare 24V system, 4 batts
- Phase Three 24 Volt Charger
- 2017 New Balmar 12V regulator, Max Charge MC-624
- Re-built 125 amp engine driven charger with spare.
- 2017 12V Genset starting battery
- 24V Balmar Regulator
- 110V System w/8 outlets
- Onan 6.5kw Marine Genset
- All thru-hulls and underwater fittings are bonded and grounded against lightning strikes.
- 2015 solar panels & regulator
Engine & Mechanical Equipment
Engine and Mechanical
- Mercedes OM352 six cylinder Wiseman Marine non-turbo 130 hp diesel engine
- Webasto diesel fired heater with hot water system feeding separate cabin radiators- not connected
- New Cruisair AC with SMX 11 Control Systems aft
- Max Prop, factory serviced in 2016
- Bauer scuba tank compressor, deck compartment for two scuba tanks
- Spare refrigeration water pump
- Spare Mercedes water pump
- Spare Mercedes 24V starter
Hull and Deck
- 24V Horizontal anchor windlass (feeding two separate chain lockers below)
- Dual heavy-duty anchor rollers, 60Kg Delta Bow Anchor with approximately 200' of chain
- Bruce 30Kg bow anchor with approximately 100' of chain
- Ultra chain & anchor connector flips anchor onto bow roller
- Danforth 18 kg stern anchor
- Aluminum Toerail
- Gary Grant designed hard dodger (only one ever fitted to a 535)
- Stainless steel dinghy davits with Simpson winders
- Stainless life lines
- All deck hardware including genoa tracks, pad eyes, traveler, double foot blocks and turning blocks are made by Lewmar.
Sails and Rigging
- 2010 Mast was completely refurbished and painted by Seatek
- Rigging- refurbished and inspected yearly
- Reckmann hydraulic furling on both headsails and main.
- Fully battened Hood mainsail installed in 2005 and continually serviced
- North Sails - genoa and stay sail
- Spinnaker, 1.5oz
- ATN Mast Climber (2 years old)
- Electric primary winches, Barlow 38's
- 8 Chrome deck and mast winches
- Andersen traveler winch
- Deck hatch covers
- Winch covers
- Dinghy cover
- 8 Dock lines
- 4 fenders
- Oversized kedge anchor in custom locker forward
- Collision mat
- Sea worthy life jackets
- Flares (many dated)
- Engine Halon system (needs servicing)
- Alarm system
- 2 main and 1 high capacity bilge pumps
- Hand operated bilge pump
- Red foot/night lights
- Solar powered deck lights
- Mast strobe
- Twin radar reflectors
- Air horn
- All artwork and ship’s clocks
- All personal effects
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot
guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the
condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his
surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated.
This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or
withdrawal without notice.