This beautiful 40' MJM 40z is a great example of the consistent quality that MJM is able to deliver. When one combines the thoughtful design with the Downeast Red hull this boat becomes a true head-turner. Her hull engineering and composition result in a strong hull with a low center of gravity. This translates into greater stability and sea-worthiness which makes for her impressively comfortable ride. Moreover, with the effortless control that the twin 370 HP IPS500 pod drives deliver and you receive an outstanding result. Furthermore, these state-of-the-art pod drives make for eco-smart performance as well. This is demonstrated by this boat being able to cruise at 32 knots with an impressive fuel economy. The considerate planning continues in the layout with features such as a flush-deck from cockpit to helm. This yacht's current owner (and her only owner so far) is knowledgeable and experienced in yachting which makes for this boat to be in stunning condition and ready for her next owner!
- Shore Power Inlet - (2) 30 amp
- Generator - Northern Lights 6 kW 1,800 rpm 3 cylinder
- Inverter - MasterVolt 110v AC system
Description and Notes
The primary design goal for the 40z was to create a 40 foot powerboat that would handle like a 30-footer at idle speeds in tricky docking situations. The Volvo-Penta IPS joystick control technology makes this goal a reality. The IPS system works with twin pod drives under the hull. When conventional twin-engine controls are in neutral, command can be given to a single joystick which takes over with fingertip control. There are no thrusters. Through a unique computer program, each drive unit is independently operated in terms of direction, rpm and forward-reverse gear. This system works far more intuitively than conventional twin shaft drives or joystick/thruster operated jet drives.
-Side-opening doors (P&S) overcome a common problem, getting aboard or getting off when handling docklines. Furthermore, the deck of the cockpit has been designed to be the same height as a floating dock to improve ease of boarding.
- Single-level seating for as many as 15 at cocktail time or for a family picnic. Additionally, this flush deck extends from cockpit to helm.
- Roll-up side/aft curtains and fully-opening, automatic windshields to regulate airflow in the pilothouse to suit conditions.
- Large (60x78) island berth and separate shower in owner stateroom.
- One owner's cabin along with a convertible dinette option.
- The 40z can be trucked overland without penalty. Width doesn’t exceed 12 feet and height on a trailer is less than 13.5 feet.
Manufacturer Provided Performance Features
- Twin Volvo-Penta 370 HP IPS500 diesel engines.
- Epoxy unidirectional tri-axial kevlar and S-glass hull and deck
- Joystick docking control with IPS systems.
- 36 knots top speed
- Best fuel mileage- environmentally friendly 1.1-1.5 NMPG at cruising speed
Upgraded Deck Options
- STIDD 36" wide 500W Helm Deck Piloting Seats (2)
- Sunscreen / Privacy curtains (8) with storage bag
- Esthec Decking - Biscuit w/ white cauking in Pilothouse, Cockpit, & Cockpit Steps
- Aft cockpit Bimini with boot
- Full-width stern seat in bolstered UltraLeather with Stamoid Rain/Sun cover
- Two rod holders on coaming with single overhead holder to port
- Modified deep-V, offshore hull design with sharp entry and moderate beam having dual lifting strakes, chine flats, 19-degree transom deadrise carried forward 13 feet, for stability at rest, a dry ride and level acceleration.
- Hull, cove and chine stripe in Awlcraft 2000 color of choice (Downeast Red in this case) w/3 coats of clear for abrasion repair.
- ISO (CE Mark) Certified for Ocean Category A use and further engineered to meet ISO structural standards for a vessel capable of 45 knots in 21 ft. seas.
- Exceptionally strong & light composite construction. A pair of steel rollers outside the mold pre-impregnate a stitched biaxial E-glass/Kevlar material under great pressure with Gougeon slow-set epoxy to a 60:40 ratio (glass to epoxy ratio). Damp, compressed material is transferred to and layered into the mold with 1” Core Cell closed-cell foam core then vacuum-bagged to air voids prior to post-curing at 145 F for 48 hours.
- Solid keel, stem, and transom corners backed by a structural grid using unidirectional E-glass/epoxy GRP to minimize damage from impact.
- Reinforcing of thru-hull and hardware attachment areas with solid glass or Penske-Board.
- Side entry doors onto cockpit sole (two - one on each side)
- Transom door to swim platform.
- Transferable 10-year osmotic blister warranty.
- Bilges painted with smooth, gloss-white finish.
- PVC guardrail and quarter-guard with high-polish stainless steel rub strips.
- Lewmar hull opening ports (four) in forward cabin and main saloon w/screens & shades.
- 316L stainless steel handrails (17) on pilothouse corner posts, hardtop, cabin top, under hardtop, on aft seat backs, galley overhead, outboard on console and either side of companionway entrance.
- Hull and deck fused together as monocoque structure with methacrylate adhesive with shear strength of 3,000 lbs. per square inch and with mechanical fasteners on 8-10” centers.
- Backing plates for cleats and stanchions are epoxy G-10 pressure-laminated composite.
- Hardware areas reinforced with solid glass, high compression Penske Board.
- Custom Armstrong single post w/treads stainless swim ladder & grab handle.
- Molded swim platform with recessed dinghy cleats.
- Cook “Armor Flex” off-white gelcoat deck w/sand-textured non-skid.
- High-tech composite construction under vacuum using oven post-cured epoxy impregnated, stitched biaxial E-glass with a 1” Alcan Airex C70 cross-linked, closed-cell PVC foam core.
- 29” cockpit guardrail of 1.25” round stainless.
- 24” bow rail of 1.25” 316L stainless with 400,000 c.p. spotlight and 16” burgee staff mount.
- 3’x5’ National flag with teak staff and retainer pin.
- Muir anchor windlass with deck and cockpit controls Auto-launching polished stainless Lewmar claw anchor w/250’ of rode and 25’ of stainless chain.
- Fresh water anchor and rode washer control at helm.
- Polished stainless steel bowguard
- Molded Downeast Style windshield frame &hardtop
- Convertible pilothouse enclosed by un-zip-and-roll-up-in-place, Strataglass windows with Stamoid border.
- Entry panel to cockpit w/dual window/screen
- Deck drains divert dirt/soot/dew/rain into gray water system and out transom…not onto top sides.
- Custom SS multi-directional bow chocks(2).
- Engine room access hatches (3) with scuppers, overboard drains, gaskets and lock downs. Main hatch has electric operated lift arm and manual backup.
- Utility room access hatch in pilothouse with custom Armstrong telescoping ladder.
- Varnished teak storage drawers under piloting seats. Large pilothouse settee lockers P&S w/piston-activated lockable lids, vinyl flooring and mesh organizer bags for power cords, hoses, bikes, hard luggage, dinghy and/or golf club storage.
- Cockpit seat lockers (P&S) for dock lines, fenders, cleaning supplies and lubricants
- 36 x 16 single-leaf gloss-varnished teak table with fiddles w/pilothouse & cockpit sockets. Opens to 32”.
- Pilothouse settees w/UltraLeather covered natural latex, memory-foam bottom cushions which convert to 6.5' berths.
- Drink holders (6) at piloting seats and transom seat
- 8 Lewmar overhead deck hatches in forward cabin (2), head, shower, main saloon (2) and over piloting chairs(2). All with Ocean dual action shade-screens.
- 6 Cabin trunk opening ports w/screens in forward cabin, head, shower, galley and saloon.
- Ocean Air combination screen/shades on hatches and pull shades on port lights.
- Gloss-varnished, paneled & louvered, lockable (from inside & out) sliding teak companionway door with four-section hinged cover with chart book retainer fiddle.
Piloting and Navigation
- 24” Edson destroyer wheel with varnished teakrim
- Triple, fully-opening windshields w/wiper & washers giving (a) exceptional ventilation in warm climates and (b) unrestricted visibility in fog or at night
- Bi-level instrument console with gray anti-glare
- Navigation station to port
- Jabsco 400,000 cp bow rail-mounted halogen spotlight
- Kahlenberg D-OA air horn w/auto fog and anchoring operation.
- Ritchie SS-20004.5 Super-sport compass.
- Raymarine e165 (Upgrade) Hybrid Touch GPS plotter with WiFi for iPad control with radar overlay and Navionics Platinum Plus XL chip.
- Raymarine depth sounder w/i70 multi-display
- Raymarine 4KW HD color radar w/dome
- Raymarine 218 VHF on overhead at helm with hinged whip antenna and RAM control.
Upgraded Instrumentation Options
- Raymarine Hybrid Touch e165 upgraded from standard e125
- Sirius Satellite Weather
Electrical Systems Detail
- Custom back-lit electrical panel with 25-12v DC breakers and 12-110V AC breakers, stainless breaker guards and digital DC and AC monitors
- 110V AC system w/MasterVolt inverter/charger. Shore power system w/ two 50' white MarinCo cords w/ Stainless GFCI duplex outlets
- Volvo-Penta standard 125 amp alternators.
- Blue Seas battery combiners
- Galvanic isolator
- LED LIGHTS: cabin lights (4), overhead in galley (4), head (2), shower (2), saloon (4), forepeak (4), piloting console (2), and pilothouse (4) on 4 dimmers witches. Courtesy lights: (3) in cockpit and head. Engine compartment lights.
- LED navigation and anchoring lights.
- Bonded electrical system and under-water fittings
- Field-serviceable electrical system with bundled/numbered wires w/Deutsch O-ring waterproof connectors.
- Spacious dinette table lowers with electronic control to form 40-44” wide, 78” long berth. Heavy opaque linen curtain anchors to ceiling to form private double cabin with vertical zipper entry. 5” Ultraleather-covered memory foam insert is stored in vinyl bag.
- Large hull opening ports (2) with screens, skylight hatches (2) and cabin port lights (2) to maximize ventilation, sense of space and light.
- The companionway is designed to function like a normal stairway with a stainless grab rails and safe, sanded teak companionway w/2 steps down. Shoe locker and/or tool storage under steps.
- Headroom of 6’4” on center line.
- Clear AwlGrip gloss-finished teak & holly cabin sole with storage compartment for large plastic bins.
- Off-white Nevamar HPL paneling with cherry trim with foam-backed vinyl headliner & satin-varnished cherry ceiling battens.
- Access door to head.
- LG Flatscreen LED TV option is mounted on angled bulkhead facing the settee.
- Corian counter-top with framed and paneled cherry cabinetry with push-button locks & drawer handles.
- Recessed, polished SS sink with removable Corian cover and Scanvik pullout faucet.
- Flatware & utensil drawers (3) w/Rubbermaid organizer.
- Stainless Isotherm 5.5 cu.ft. 2-drawer fridge/freezer w/ ice-maker plumbed from water purifier.
- Dry goods cabinet w/sliding doors and intermediate shelf running length of galley w/LED lighting underneath.
- Chinaware & glass storage and rinsing compartment outboard of sink with drain & vent.
- Under-counter storage locker for large pots/pans and cleaning supplies.
- Flip lid access panel to large Rubbermaid trash bin.
- Overhead safety handrail and towel drying bar.
- Ceramic 2-burner electric stove w/pop-up retainers.
- Convection microwave 5-way oven (Sharp).
- Double stainless hooks for hot pads and dish towels.
- Extended shelf with grab-rail fiddle above galley suitable for chart storage, cutting boards, etc.
- Fixed 78” x 60” island double berth in quilted UltraLeather memory foam mattress
- Storage drawers (4) and large below-berth storage compartment
- Storage shelves over berth (P&S) also serve as handholds when rising from berth
- Framed Cherry wood forward bulkhead with recessed bookcases (2) and double access doors to large forepeak anchor locker
- Combination bureau/entertainment center with cabinet, drawer & shoe locker, Corian counter and upper storage shellf
- Hanging locker to port with storage shelf over.
- Private access to head and shower
- Stainless double-hooks (3) for clothing
- Dressing mirror on forward face of entry door
- Twin Volvo-Penta D6 370 HP diesel engines with IPS 500 joystick docking system.
- Volvo-Penta DPS (Dynamic Positioning System) that holds vessel in GPS location at current heading.
- Lenco Electric Trim Tabs
- Engine spares kit and service manual.
- UL approved fuel shutoff and fuel/air separators.
- Racor fuel/water separators with spare cartridges
- Two dedicated 175 gallon, bright-finished aluminum fuel tanks. WEMA SUF American standard fuel level sensors and interconnect line with shut-off valves.
- Parker 221FR fire-resistant USCG Class 1 high-tensile, steel-braid-reinforced, fuel hoses.
- SS engine air intakes(4)
- Dedicated sump below engine and transmission.
- SeaFire automatic fire suppressant system in engine and generator compartment
- Custom Soundown insulated engine room.
Upgraded Systems Options
- Northern Lights 6 kW 2,800 RPM 3-cylinder generator
- (2- one interior, one exterior) 16,000 BTU MarineAir air conditioners
- Primary HD-ready LED TV with AppleTV, ID & Marina TV cable supported in saloon
- Fusion MZ-AV700 Stereo system
- Sirius Satellite Radio System
Non-Standard Builder Options
MODEL YEAR 2014 ADDITIONS:
Whichard Fender Padeyes, Larger PH table, Varnished Burgee Staff, USB GFI Outlets, Additional Fire Extinguishers, Higher Capacity AM/FM antenna, Pull Shade, Electrical Panel Cover, Upgraded Companionway Latch System.
- Central Vacuum System: Dirt Devil
- Hella Turbo Fans (2) over Forepeak Berth
- Pressure hot/cold water with Johnson Aqua Jet Duo variable-speed water pressure pump
- 13-gallon stainless steel hot water heater.
- 100-gallon polyethylene fresh water tank
- Dockside water inlet with check-valve and pressure regulator.
- General Ecology Seagull IV purification system
- Scanvik hot/cold shower on swim platform
- High-pressure fresh water wash-down valve in port cockpit locker
- Jabsco Rule 1100 automatic bilge pumps (3)
- Vacuflush head system with 30 gallon holding tank w/ pump out and macerator discharge.
- Back-up Bosworth high-capacity cockpit-operated manual bilge pump.
- Centralized gray water discharge system through transom to minimize thru-hulls
- Gray water sump w/inspection port for shower, head, icebox and ACcondensate
- Marelon non-corrosive thru-hulls/seacocks with strainers and double-clamped hose